Reading Log 9 ep

The Practice of Duelling in Upper Canada – Ridiculous!

What strikes me the most about this ridiculous practice is not mentioned in my reading log. I am talking about my own romanticism of dueling; that is to say that my knowledge of this method of ‘conflict resolution’ before taking this course was largely framed by the notion that this was a mere fantastical display, not to be taken too seriously. However, it really did happen, and the consequences were devastating. A mere bruise to the ego was enough to render a woman a widow, who would need to rely on the kindness of her community to provide for her and any children she may have. Truly, it was reading the story of the duel between law students John Wilson and Robert Lyon in Perth, Ontario in 1833 (Pistols at Six O’Clock) that provided a deeper connection to the brutality of duelling.

From the mid 1600’s to 1948, there were some 300 duelling “incidents” in Upper Canada.  Many were challenges that were not accepted, while a smaller number were fought with little damage, but there were about 30 deaths.

These duelling pistols are circa 1823.

Missing Voices  (Reading log 2-ep)

Part of doing history requires thoughtful consideration for whose voice is being heard, and whose is not. This premise speaks to my own personal growth and awarenss of doing history, and other applications as well. This skill was presented early in the semester, which I feel contributed to deeper consideration and  the search for those oppressed voices. For example, I wondered aloud how the young fille du Roi flet about their journey to the new land. I also find that this skill has enhanced my social work practice, as it allows for the expasion of the mind in terms of identifying stakeholders in a given policy or practice method.

Contemporary Connections – 

Mr. Brian Seaman argues that the FIPPA and Omnibus Bill C-45 represent attacks on Canadian Aboriginal rights under the pre-Confederation Treaties beginning in 1764: 

http://foundationfordemocraticadvancement.blogspot.ca/2013/01/analysis-of-canada-china-fippa-why.html

Reading Log 1 Reading Log 1 ep

This reading log was terribly written, but the learning that came from it was tremendous. I made the connection that my previous assumptions about history as being innately factually documented was waaaaay off. For example, it never occurred to me that the textbooks I read in elementary and high school may have (and probably did) have huge gaps in information, or were influenced in one way or another by some social or political agenda.